Excursion in Cassino
We offer an excellent professional service to take you comfortably drive in a wonderful trip to Cassino, allowing to let you know the most beautiful monuments.
Cassino tourist information
Do not miss the visit to the Abbey of Monte Cassino, a famous Benedictine monastery.
Founded in 529 by St. Benedict at an ancient tower and a temple dedicated to Apollo, situated 519 meters above sea level, has suffered throughout its history an alternate story of destruction, looting, and earthquakes resulting in a reconstruction.
In 584, during the invasion of the Lombards, the monastery was destroyed for the first time and the community of monks, with the remains of the holy founder, had to shelter in Rome. Then, the 643 monks found hospitality from the community of St. Columban in Bobbio and later in various monasteries and abbeys colombaniane in Italy and Europe, spreading widely Benedictine communities.
Rebuilt around 717 under the impetus of Petronax of Montecassino, the Abbey was destroyed a second time by the Saracens in 883, and was rebuilt by order of Pope Agapito II only 949.
Throughout the Middle Ages, the abbey was a lively center of culture through its abbots, its libraries, its archives, schools and miniature writer, who transcribed and preserved many works of antiquity. Historical evidence of the highest interest and secure validity have been collected and handed down to Monte Cassino: the first precious documents in the vernacular to the famous illuminated manuscripts Montecassino, the precious and rare incunabula.
The most illustrious of his abbots was perhaps Desire - the future Pope Victor III - at the end of the eleventh century it was reconstructed completely adorned the abbey and the church of precious frescoes and mosaics, whose reflection can still see in what the Abbot had run in Sant'Angelo in Formis. From Chronicle Monasterii Casinensis know that the abbot wishes to use and capital-intensive efforts to rebuild the Abbey Church, completed in just five years from 1066 to 1071, using stone from Rome and Byzantium come from doing too many mosaic artists and artisans. Most of the decorations - the church and monastery of new environments later rebuilt - were made of paint, now mostly lost and known only in some subjects, such as Stories Old and New Testaments in the atrium, which tituli are kept entirely written by the Archbishop of Salerno Alfano. The use of Byzantine mosaic was motivated, as we read in the Chronicle, because "more than five hundred years Latin teachers had neglected the practice of these arts and commitment of this man inspired and helped by God they were called into force in our time, "also" so that their knowledge would not fall even further into oblivion in Italy, the man filled with wisdom decided that the monastery had many young people with all efforts initiated in these arts. However, not only in this field, but also for all the artwork that can be made with gold, silver, bronze, iron, glass, ivory, wood, plaster or stone, he brought the best artists selected by its monks. Main staircase
Destroyed by an earthquake in 1349 and rebuilt in 1366, the abbey became the seventeenth century the appearance of a typical Neapolitan Baroque monument, thanks to the decorations of many artists, including Luca Giordano, Francesco Solimena, Francesco de Mura.